Many MS Warriors are familiar with chronic pain. It can last for months or even years. But, mindfulness-based stress reduction can offer relief from musculoskeletal pain, fibromyalgia, and more.
Sharp pangs. Dull aches. Tingling. Pain comes in many sensations, but all are unpleasant and can interfere with daily life. 1 in 5 adults experience chronic pain, according to a World Health Organization fact sheet. 43% of American households and 36% of European households include at least 1 person battling chronic pain.
Pain falls into two categories:
- Acute pain
- Shorter in duration (less than 3 – 6 months)
- Directly related to soft tissue damage (e.g., sprained ankle)
- Typically more sharp and severe
- Chronic pain
- Longer duration (can last years)
- Cause may be an ongoing injury or infection (e.g., autoimmune disease, cancer)
- Impacted by environmental and psychological factors